Monday, September 17, 2012

Conference SPOTLIGHT - He Truly Loves Us


 The conference spotlights is a series of talks from the LDS General Conference.  I picked one each week to study and record my thoughts about it. 5/6/12
He Truly Loves Us  (there are links to watch, listen, and download, on the right hand side, as well as the text)       
"What is the ultimate means by which we can enjoy the gift and power of the Holy Ghost? It is the power that comes by being faithful disciples of Jesus Christ. It is our love for Him and our fellowman. It is the Savior who defined the pattern of love when He taught us, “A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another†(John 13:34)."
"The Father's plan designated the pattern of the family to help us learn, apply, and understand the power of love."
"The feeling of love from our Heavenly Father is like a gravitational pull from heaven. As we remove the distractions that pull us toward the world and exercise our agency to seek Him, we open our hearts to a celestial force which draws us toward Him. Nephi described its impact as 'even unto the consuming of [his] flesh' (2 Nephi 4:21). This same power of love caused Alma to sing a 'song of redeeming love' (Alma 5:26; see also verse 9). It touched Mormon in such a way that he counseled us to pray 'with all the energy of [our] heart' that we might be filled with His love (Moroni 7:48).
Both modern and ancient scripture are full of reminders of Heavenly Father's eternal love for His children. I am confident that our Heavenly Father's arms are constantly extended, ever ready to embrace each one of us and say to each one with that quiet, piercing voice, "I love you."
Because of the heaven-designed pattern of the family, we more fully understand how our Heavenly Father truly loves each of us equally and fully. I testify that it is true. God does know and love us. He has given us a vision of His holy place and called prophets and apostles to teach the principles and the patterns that will bring us back to Him. As we strive to awaken the desire to know in ourselves and in others and as we live the patterns we discover, we will be drawn toward Him."

One of the beautiful themes in this talk is how our earthy families are a pattern of heavenly attributes.  When we have more than one child, we can start to understand the endless bounds of pure love, and that it is possible for Heavenly Father to love ALL OF US even though we are so different, because we have seen and experienced it in our lives with our own children.  An abstract concept can become real to us by gaining earthly experience. 
Although I have a testimony of this, I am interested to see it play out in my life since we are expecting #2.  I have recently thought, 'how can I love the second as much as my first?' It's hard to imagine and comprehend, even though logically I know it must be possible because that's what everyone says.  But like many other things in life, some things can ONLY be truly understood by experience, and I am really looking forward to that.  I love how families truly can bring us closer to Heavenly Father and help us understand Him more.

No comments:

Post a Comment